The intensified campaign against illegal gambling of the National Capital Region Police Office resulted in the arrest of five individuals in Makati City.
NCRPO Regional Director PMGEN GUILLERMO LORENZO T ELEAZAR said that vigorous surveillance was initiated by the NCRPO- RSOU following information from reliable informants that there was a continuous illegal numbers game operation, particularly at Progreso St., Brgy Guadalupe Viejo, Makati City. The operation led to the arrest of suspects for violation of PD 1602 Illegal Gambling “Horse-racing/Bookies”) as amended by RA 9287 (Illegal Number game “Loteng/6/42”).
Responding police officers arrested the suspects identified as follows:
- Arnel Gutierrez y De Leon (Bet Supervisor/Cabo), male, married, 64 years old, native of Makati, and resident of No. 8090 Progreso St., Brgy Guadalupe Viejo, Makati City;
- Herminio Vasquez y Ogayon (Bet Collector), male, marred, 74 years old, native of Albay, and resident of No. 619 Lerma St., Mandaluyong City;
- Erika Abenio y Degamo (Personnel or Staff of Illegal Numbers Game), female, single, 24 years old, native of Pasig City and resident of No. 8090 Progreso St., Brgy Guadalupe Viejo, Makati City;
- Jerome Romasanta y Silverio (Bettor), male, single, 30 years old, native of Bulacan, and resident of No. 8093 Progreso St., Brgy Guadalupe Viejo, Makati City; and
- Rodel Gelig y Corton (Bettor), male, single, 35 years old, native of Leyte, and resident of No. 7395 Bernardino St., Brgy Guadalupe Viejo, Makati City;
Accordingly, RSOU agents were dispatched at Makati City on August 27, 2019. At 7:45 PM, upon arrival at no. 8090 Progreso St., Brgy Guadalupe Viejo, Makati City, operatives noticed one (1) male in the act of inducing bettors in a narrow alley in front of a house while in possession of a ball pen and bet booklet.
To be certain whether or not it is a form of illegal numbers game, one of the police operative posed as bettor and managed to deal with the man, later known as Herminio Vasquez y Ogayon. He induced him to bet in Loteng 6/42 which will be played at 9:00 PM of August 27, 2019, via PCSO Lotto draw. The poseur bettor gave Herminio, one hundred pesos (Php100.00), consisting of two (2) fifty peso bills as bet money for number combination of 5-7-10-20-22-23-30-32-33-39-40-41 and 3-12-13-18-20-23-26-28-33-35-37-42. The poseur bettor saw him write the number in a bet booklet then tear the bet receipt and handed it over to him. Upon confirming that he was indeed a bet collector, the poseur bettor introduced himself as a police officer and placed him under arrest. He was informed of the nature of his offense and apprised of his constitutional rights in Filipino dialect, known and understood by him.
At that instance, when Herminio Vasquez walked into an open door, just a few steps from the said house by pulling himself away from the arresting officer. The arresting officer restrained him and they ended up inside the house. The rest of the operatives were also able to penetrate the target house where they discovered in plain view, four (4) other individuals and confiscated from their possession were corresponding pieces of evidence as follows:
- One of the four, Arnel Gutierrez y De Leon who is the owner/resident of the house and acts as the Supervisor/Cabo. Recovered from his possession are the following:
a. Gambling money amounting to eight hundred thirty pesos (Php830.00) marked as AGDL;
b. Assorted dividendazo marked as AGDL-1;
c. One (1) bundle of bet record booklet marked as AGDL-2;
d. One (1) digital calculator marked as AGDL-3;
e. One (1) bundle of small bet receipt marked as AGDL-4;
f. One (1) bundle of small bet receipt marked as AGDL-5;
g. One (1) black ball pen marked as AGDL-6;
h. One (1) PLDT billing statement under the name of Arnel Gutierrez marked as AGDL-7;
i. One (1) Sony Trinitron TV marked as AGDL-8 (used in viewing online horse racing);
j. One (1) Cignal HD Box marked as AGDL-9;
k. One (1) Adaptor marked as AGDL-10;
l. One (1) Cignal smart card marked as AGDL-11; and
m. One (1) jack connector marked as AGDL-12;
- Herminio Vasquez y Ogayon (bet collector). Recovered from his possession are the following:
a. Gambling money amounting to three hundred seventy pesos (Php370.00) marked as HVO;
b. Bet record sheet/paper marked as HVO-1;
c. One (1) small bet receipt marked as HVO-2;
d. One (1) digital calculator marked as HVO-3; and
e. One (1) black ball pen marked as HVO-4;
3 Rodel Gelig y Corton (bettor) Recovered from his possession are bet money amounting to one hundred eighty pesos (Php180.00) marked as RGC; and one (1) Dividendazo marked as RGC-1;
- Jerome Romasanta y Silverio (bettor). Recovered from his possession are bet money amounting to one hundred ten pesos (Php110.00) marked as JRS; and one (1) dividendazo marked as JRS-1;
- Erika Abenio y Degamo (Staff), who is also a resident of the aforementioned house and caught in the act of recording and collating various bet receipts and functioning as staff/personnel of illegal numbers game. Recovered from her possession are the following:
a. One (1) record booklet marked as EAD;
b. One (1) black ball pen marked as EAD-1; and
c. Assorted bet record papers marked as EAD-2;
However, a certain Olan Santos and Toto Lacson, both male residents of Makati City and identified as gambling maintainer/ operator remains at-large.
In adherence of the police operational procedure, the operatives introduced themselves as police officers and placed them under arrest. They were informed of the nature of their offense and apprised them of their constitutional rights in Filipino.
The arrested persons were subjected to medical examination and were later brought to RSOU office together with the recovered pieces of evidence for investigation and proper disposition.
Criminal complaint for violation of P.D. 1602 (Illegal Gambling “Horse-racing/Bookies) and as amended by R.A. 9287 (Illegal Numbers Game/Loteng/6/42) will be referred for inquest proceedings before the Makati City Prosecutors Office against the arrested persons including Olan Santos and Toto Lacson (Maintainer/Operator) who remains at large.
Eager to clean up Metro Manila’s streets off crime, PMGEN ELEAZAR vowed to conduct more intensified campaigns particularly in the crackdown of illegal gambling.
“These are just part of the immediate results that our INTENSIFIED CLEANLINESS POLICY gains nowadays. I salute all men and women of the NCRPO for living up to the tenets of our operational policy.”PMGEN ELEAZAR added.